How to Use GoTo Special in Microsoft Excel 2013 Tutorial
How to use GoTo Special in excel 2013
How to update blank cells with a value that is there in a cell just above the blank
A blank cell can be updated with the options available in GoTo special feature in excel.
Suppose I have the following data in excel
I want to update all the blank cells A3 to A8 with the “product_id” in A2.
And A10 to A15 with the “product_id” in A9 etc.
This is very useful feature especially working on large data.
Keyboard shortcut to invoke Go To Special is Ctrl+g then Alt+s
(Ctrl+g invokes Go To, select Special from the pop up)
- Select the data table containing blank cells, select HOME tab and go to find&select then slect GoTo Special
- On selecting the “Go To Special” a pop up window will be presented. Of the many available options we are selecting “blanks” radio button (because we want to do something with blanks). And click OK
- On clicking OK all the blank cells are selected, we can give formula (or a string).
- Here As we need to update the each blank cell with the data of the cell just above the blank cell,
We give a formula in A3 as =A2
- And giving Ctrl+Enter crates formula in all the blank cells like below